Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"The Race"

The Race, a hidden object game, is available from the BigFishGames website today. The Race is developed by Gogii games.

As the game starts, you choose from one of 6 teams. The appearance of the 6 teams are: muscles, hicks , "euro" couple, mom/daughter, grandparents, or Ken and Barbie. I wondered if the team choice influenced any of the play, but it does not appear to.

There are 3 venues: Country, Continental, and World championships. Starting out with Country, you begin in Canada. There are 3 sites where you locate 10 hidden objects, and "race" against the other teams to see which team can find the objects fastest. For each site, you get a magnifying glass that allows you to zoom in on the objects. There are 3 tools that help you to locate objects: a hot/cold cursor, a compass, and a time bomb that will send the team closest in time back.

The teams that finish first through third receive points. The points are talleyed for each country, and an overall winner is declared.

Like most hidden object games, there is a penalty (5 second) for random clicking. There are no bonuses for finding items in quick succession.

The music at the intro screen heightens excitement, but the music during the play is mediocre. Overall, this is not the most challenging or pretty hidden object game I've played, but it wasn't terrible. I found that the resolution of the magnifying glass was very grainy and unlikely to help me locate small or shadow objects. I was disappointed that a choice of teams had no effect on the outcome. Also, one of the things that keeps me replaying a casual game is having "achievements" I can unlock (such as getting 100% accuracy at 10 locations, or placing 1st 10 times.) This game did not have achievements.

I think this game would be great for kids, or people new to hidden object games, as it wasn't that challenging. It seemed to me that if I took a long time to find my first object, the other teams also got off to slower starts.

Happy hunting!

No comments: